Discover why a successful lawyer bringing in almost $200,000 a year is spending his time writing blog posts few people will read…

I’ve spent more than a decade working as a lawyer and now enjoy a substantial income.  But I want to give it all up.  Why?  Because I have very little time for my family, virtually no time for my hobbies and the stress of managing a team and bringing in new work all the time is killing me.

And the desire to give it all up led me to read Tim Ferriss’s “The Four Hour Work Week”.  Ferriss has been criticized plenty.  But his vision of an almost automatic income fuelling your dream life caught me.  It caught me and wouldn’t let go.  I’d never thought through why I worked as a lawyer.  I’d never realised there were people who did virtually nothing yet had enough income to live their dream life wherever and however they wanted.  Ferriss made me think big about what my life could be.

So I started looking for my “muse”.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about read the book.  Even if you do know what I’m talking about read the book.  Even if you’ve read the book before READ THE BOOK…again!  It’s that good.

Anyway muse creation started out well.  I had lots of ideas.  Some were fanciful, some were “doers”.  I was going to act on some of them.  Yes, I really was.  But then something happened.  I discovered a whole new world.  It was the world of “internet marketing”.  And it seemed to be an exciting world.  You may have read the headlines I came across for the first time.  “Make money on autopilot”, “Create your dream life in an hour a week”.  “How I made millions without any real work selling other people’s products”.

Now I’m a very intelligent person and I’ve got the qualifications to show it!  But…I’m stupid when it comes to copywriting.  I DO believe the hype.  I can smell the success that sits behind the headlines.  The next product may well be THE ONE.  The One that makes it all worthwhile.  My rational mind knows that this is rubbish.  Sometimes though my rational mind is on vacation and it won’t be back till morning.  

So I’ve spent money.  I don’t really know how much money I’ve spent on internet marketing products.  If I did know I’d be full of regrets and if my wife knew I’d probably have to leave the house…

I’ve made buying decisions that I’d be sacked for if I made them in my proper working hours.  I’m not proud.

But I am annoyed.  Actually that’s a lie – I’m angry.  I’m angry at all the hype and the cynical attempts to get my cash.  I’m angry when I see another video telling me that the credit crunch will mean my family will starve if I don’t buy some new software or join a continuity program.   I’m more angry when I think about the people who will buy it and who have virtually no money.  I can afford to be an idiot but a lot of people can’t.

I’ve always believed that anger without direction is a waste and potentially very dangerous.  So I’ve looked for that direction and I believe I’ve found it in this little blog.

Let me tell you what I’m going to do.

I’m going to tell the truth on here.  I’m going to expose the shams I come across.  I’m going to show you how mediocre lots of the big products are.  

And, most importantly, I’m going to shout from the rooftops when I find something that works.  But not just something that works.  I’m sure you can find unethical methods of making quick cash.  That’s not for me.  I want to find a way I can live with.  A way that doesn’t rip off other people or rely upon deceit.

So if anything I’ve said in this post resonates with you bookmark it and come back often to see what I’ve found.

Thank you for reading.  Now go and do something nice for someone!

5 comments:

  Lynn Dorman, Ph.D.

4 December 2008 at 14:41

as a used-to-be-lawyer [but not in the big money way] I too was lured by internet "stuff" and agree with you that lots of it is hype. Over the years I have learned a lot from online marketers and do my current businesses mostly online...with no hype involved. It is possible...

Lynn - the aging blogger
grow older better

  Andrew Erdnase

4 December 2008 at 23:23

Hi Lynn,

It's good to hear that real people are making a real living online. I'm particularly interested in people who are making a good living but who are not relying upon the IM market itself to bring in the cash.

When I hear "I made £100,000 an hour and got 50,000 subscribers" it's disappointing to discover that the way they did that was to sell a product called "I made £100,000 an hour and got 50,000 subscribers"!

Thanks for your comments and good luck with your business

Andrew

  sophie nicholls

5 December 2008 at 04:00

Hi Andrew
Great idea for a blog. I agree with Lynn that there is much to be learned from some truly excellent people here on the internet and personally I find it an endless source of inspiration and connection. However, as in any area, there is the cynical rubbish too. I look forward to reading.
Very best wishes, Sophie
Sophie Nicholls

  Andrew Erdnase

5 December 2008 at 11:49

Thanks Sophie! As I've said before I really like your site.

Hope you find things of interest here over time.

Andrew