The Latest Criminal Internet Marketer...What We Can Learn

Before I buy anything related to internet marketing I do my research.  It saves me time and money.  

Sometimes all my research throws up are ill-disguised affiliate sites telling me fantastic and life changing the videos or ebook are.  But sometimes I find more.  This morning I found more.

It all started with an email from Matt Bacak.  I received it 2 days ago but only read it this morning.  He’s promoting Perry Belcher’s Google Partnering System.  I looked at the sales page and was quite tempted.  It’s not expensive and looked interesting.  I’ve only come across Perry Belcher on Twitter and in a video on social marketing.  

So I did my research.  And I found this:


There is more detail here

The story appears to be legitimate.  If it is Belcher is a criminal.  He’s admitted computer fraud.  He’s admitted using bogus research and fake testimonials to sell health products.

Even though I know the field of internet marketing has more than its fair share of criminal behaviour this still surprised me.  It surprised me that he admitted to these crimes.  It surprised me just as much that his products are still being openly promoted to big lists so soon after his conviction.  

If he had been convicted of a crime that was unrelated to the IM field it could have an impact on my view of his honesty but this is different. How can anyone buy an IM product from someone who has admitted to lying about his marketing?  

There are some decent people in internet marketing and the criminal element is, I’m sure, small.  What is worrying though is how some of the “big names” are prepared to ignore the criminals within the community and worst still continue to make money by promoting their products.

So what can we do?

Here’s what I’m going to do:

1) I will never buy anything from Mr Belcher nor will I buy anything from any of his affiliates.  Trust is a big thing for me and I won’t compromise it no matter how apparently good the products are.  If I lose money because of this approach I don’t care

2) I’m going to continue with my thorough research before I buy anything.  This is critical and I know that so few people do it.  You see an attractive sales page with some time-limited offer built in and you just lay down some cash.  Don’t do it.

Right.  Now I hope my next post is more positive!

0 comments: